Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Do I still recommend Flatbush Gardens?

No. Unfortunately. Those of you familiar, will likely know my opinion of FBG is that it's a reasonable place to live. That you get what you pay for here, and it's a fair, if not good deal, with regard to quality/service/safety/etc per dollar.

While I still have no super-serious complaints, has anyone noticed a marked decline in the complex?

My kitchen sink is broken in at least three ways, and literally unusable. It has been this way for over a month. The roommate (having some weekdays off of work) is in charge of interfacing with maintenance. She has been down there at least 20 times, all during the hours they're scheduled to be open. Over half those times they were in fact, not open, with no explanation. (And different times of the day, like maybe they got in late, or left early, or were at lunch, but those could only explain a few of the misses). The other times, a work request was submitted, and she was told it would be placed in the queue, pointing to the huge stack of papers on the desk, with a subtle, "don't hold your breath" look.

I also see less advertising, less security (but to be fair they could easily be out there just as much and I wouldn't run into them because of my schedule recently), less renovation teams, less of our porter, etc.

It could just be me, but it feels like maybe things are in a serious decline.
Anyway, point being: At this time, I'm no longer comfortable saying that if you can tolerate mediocre quality for a cheaper price, then Flatbush Gardens presents a value option. My current perception of the quality/service/safety/etc per dollar, is that it does not provide a very good value.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've Been Following This Blog Alot As Of Recently, I Am Considering A Move To FBG When I Reach 18 In April (I Am 17 Now) But Am Concerned Only about Safety(I'm Used To Horrible Management Where Im At Now). Are Gunshots A Regular Occurance? Have You Ever Heard Gunshots While You've Lived There? I Personally Enjoy Ah Late Night Run To Mcdonalds Or Something..Would That Be A PRoblem? I Know The Newkirk Stop Is A Little "iffy" But OVerall How IS FBG In Terms Of Seeing Crime Around You?

MissResa said...

Amen. I moved in last year knowing that FBG wasn't the most glamourous place to live, but I figured I'd deal with it because I wanted to get out and experience living on my own. Bad move! Steady decline in the services provided, management is evasive and the buildings are becoming more and more dilapidated. I'm glad to say that after one miserable year I have moved on to bigger and better things. It allowed me to save some extra money, enough for a downpayment on a house! Those that are looking to move to FBG, PLEASE beware!!

Flatbush NYC said...

Dear Anonymous,

I still think it's safe. Just an hour ago I was doing laundry and was hanging out on the corner of Foster and New York ave using my iPhone. I do stuff like this a lot, and have never been concerned for my safety, or that of my phone. While I know shotings have happened, so someone must have heard gun shots, I have never heard one. If safety is your only major concern, then I strongly recommend FBG, as I feel it's safe. However, why move here? There's cheaper places in the neighborhood in multi-family homes, other apartments. I moved to FBG because they charged more than units in the area. Still a huge savings to Manhattan, but more expensive than the market here. In exchange for that, there was to be security, service, renovations, laundry.... essentially, FBG was supposed to be a "luxury" building when compared to the very localized market. (Not a luxury building by any means, but I mean an analogy: luxury manhattan is to walk-up manhattan as FBG is to rest of the neighborhood). However, they are no longer providing any of that, at least not that I can see. So, if I was moving to the neighborhood now, I'd be looking on Craigslist or NYTimes.com of sublet.com to get the same thing but cheaper. (This comment has not been proof-read... so deal with it, eh).

MM said...

Funny you mention it, I HAVE noticed that my apt is falling apart before my very eyes. I've begun to wonder if the renovations have a 1.5 year shelf life. Luckily, I have not had any problems with maintenance lately. I've had to go over there a couple times for the same problem but they did come and fix my sink (sorry about yours!). I'm assuming you all got the notice from the maintenance union under your door yesterday. Things may be about to get MUCH worse.
Speaking of value, I got my lease renewal and they want $1650 for my 1 bedroom. I can't help but laugh out loud at the prospect of paying that kind of money for this place. Needless to say, I will not be renewing but that price is not one of the many reasons why.

Anonymous said...

I moved into FBG in 2006 and moved out in 2009. I have to say that my safety was never an issue. The condition of the apt and lack of support by managment was my issue. From the time I moved into the apt repairs where need, I went back and forth between managment and maintenance, I took days off of work and maintenance would not show up. I had a problem with mice, roaches, waterbugs and before moving out a bedbug infestation. FBG knowing that their complex was infested with bed bugs told me in order to treat my apartment, I would have to get a letter from my doctor stating the I have bedbug bites. This place is a horrible place to live and their website is extremely misleading. Dont be fooled, do your research.

Anonymous said...

One word horrible. You will pay your hard earned money to live in the projects. Security will ignore your complaints. Maintainence will take forever to investigate repairs. Move somewhere else.