Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A request from MM

FlatbushNYC reader MM writes:

I am starting a personal photography project of environmental portraits entitled "The Flatbush Project". At this time, I'm only in need of people that live in the Flatbush Gardens housing development. When the project is complete, I am hoping to get it in a gallery show as well as published. You do not need to be a professional model or look like one. People of all ages, shapes, sizes welcome. Here's the definition of environmental portrait:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_portrait The concept is that this complex is formerly bad public housing and since it has been recently bought by private developers, I want to document the people that have been here since it was public housing as well as the new people that have arrived. I currently live here. You will not be paid for participating but you will receive either a cd of your images or a print of your choice. You will have to sign a model release. If you want to participate, I would like to visit you in your home and have a brief interview first before I come back later to photograph you. If you are interested in participating, I will send you a link to my website along with links to samples of the style of photography I'm planning on doing. Please include some info about yourself. If you don't live in the complex, but know someone who does, please pass this along.

Thanks for looking!

-Megan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

more info: photochic1124@aol.com

Ethan B said...

This blog has brightened the middle of my night, mostly because the ceiling in my living room and in my bedroom have been leaking ever since the heat at FBG was turned on and I know there is at least one person out there to whom I can relate.

The best was when my bathroom ceiling collapsed. I came home after being called into the office for 9 hours on a Saturday just to find that my walls were peeling. Considering there was nothing to do about it over the weekend, I hit the vodka, got some mixers, called my boyfriend, and drunkenly laughed my ass off with him as the leak and falling rat-poo-infested plaster rendered my bathroom unusable. I'm now spending tonight moving everything from the outside walls so a) my apartment doesn't smell like sewage and feet, and b) so I don't die from electrocution.

Name's Ethan, and I'm in 3401 Foster. I would love to be part of your photo project (I'm also a photographer myself). I think this blog is amazing and your environmental portrait is such a great idea. I've got a few great anecdotes from this jail sentence known as my lease.

If only I'd found your blog before I moved here in August...

-Ethan B
ethan.baldwin@gmail.com

Ethan B said...

Hmmm...it wasn't until after my first response that I realized that "MM" and "Flatbush NYC" aren't the same person. Seems the mold on my walls is starting to creep into my brain.

With that in mind, MM, love the photo project. FBNYC, love the blog.

Anonymous said...

Ethan, I don't know how to contact you so please contact me at photochic1124@aol.com.
p.s. Did you know that you don't have to pay rent on the portion of your apt that you can't use due to the collapse? I don't know the details of how that works, how long it was unusable, etc. but if you can stick it to them, why not?