Saturday, December 13, 2008

First Restaurant Review: Sip and Chat.

I went to dinner at the "Sip and Chat"
2910 Avenue D
Brooklyn, NY 11226
(718) 675-4377
sipnchat.net

On the outside it looks like it might be one of the "nicest" restaurants in the area. It was ok. Service was decent. The place was above average in terms of decor for the area. The food was, well I had goat for the first time, so it's hard to make a comparison judgment to other places, but I'd have to say average to a hair below average relative to the price. They have a lot of interesting mixed drinks on the menu. It may be a good place for a drink, and currently is the only bar/lounge I know of in the area. The fish tank is nice, but being from Florida I've seen much nicer.

I do not recommend it for eating, but say that if you need a place to eat it's not terrible.
I do recommend it for drinking if you're so inclined, but it's no "dive bar" if your alcohol to dollar ratio is your primary concern.

I think overall this place is dead tied for a yay or nay rating, but I really like the name, especially saying it real fast. I generally like places with names that include instructions on use, so that pushes it ever so slightly to the overall yay... maybe.

BTW, with regard to "first restaurant review": despite having regrettably eaten there, I will not be reviewing McDonald's.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it matters, the only "restaurant" I've tried is the chinese take out place across from McD's. It leaves something to be desired. I had the vegetable egg foo yung. I've had better but it wasn't bad.
Though I would advise against eating anything from the corner bodega (with the yellow awning) that does not come factory sealed. I saw a baby roach crawling on the counter where they make the sandwiches. You know there's a bug prob if they're out in the light.

Anonymous said...

This is unrelated to this topic but:
Does anyone have problems with their mail? It seems I'm not getting everything I should compared to my old place. I get blockbuster by mail and it seems I have to report missing dvds much more often. And I ordered a few xmas gifts over a week ago that have not arrived and now who knows where they are. If I'm getting a package I just have it sent to my work but things that go through regular mail and can fit in the box, I don't worry about it.

Flatbush NYC said...

Other than getting the mail of the last 20 people who lived at my place, I haven't had any problems. I returned the mail for a while, but it kept coming, so I threw it out for a while, and actually opened one once. Apparently, the NYS government wants over $11,000 from the last person who lived at my place, because she allegedly collected benefits she was ineligible for. Maybe that's why she moved.

I've not had any problems with my mail. I'm gotten a couple things in the box. Have not had something in the package room yet. I've not noticed anything I was expecting but did not receive. I too have blockbuster.com and have not had a movie go missing yet.

Anonymous said...

So according to user reviews this place is also a nightclub. Anyone been? What kind of crowd is it? Do all different kinds of people come or just those from the neighborhood? From my knowledge, it's one of the few nightclubs in Brooklyn.

Flatbush NYC said...

Unless there's a basement dance area, it can't be much of a night club. I mean, I guess anything is possible, but I'd say restaurant/bar/lounge before night club.

Anonymous said...

I read some reviews and it mentioned a downstairs dance club. Seemed mostly positive.
I've seen a "lounge/bar" type of place over on Flatbush. Has anyone tried that?
I'd love to find places nearby instead of having to trek "the quick 25 min commute to Manhattan" haha.

Weasel said...

Happy new year. Sorry to interject a request on this post, however I took an interesting picture outside my building that I'm sure you would love to see. Can you shoot me your email address?
Thanks,
A

Flatbush NYC said...

Email: flatbushnyc at gmail

On that note. If anyone would like to write a post, or feel like a new post would be a better forum for what you want to say than a comment, please feel free to email the above address with something like "For a new post by [name, nickname, username, anonymous, or whatever] . . ."

Thanks.