Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Execution at Flatbush Gardens.

Honestly, I wasn't going to post this, because I try to keep this to my experiences, and the experiences of those I personally know, and I didn't really see this. However, people have the right to know, and ok, I'll admit it, I'm rather annoyed at FBG right now because though I've been patient with their incompetence and the fact that they don't have a maintenance department, the last time I went to ask them for something they were very rude and that's just too much for me. It's one thing to be incompetent but try to be pleasant while you're ignoring people.

Anyway, a guy was executed by someone on the roof of one of the buildings here a couple weeks ago.

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7273110&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/08/23/2008-08-23_excon_shot_dead_on_brooklyn_roof-2.html


Two interesting follow-ups, (1) police were patrolling the area for a few days after that, and had this weird observation booth set up on Newkirk (though that may or may not be related; see picture below), (2) the ex-roommate said she saw a group of people out in the courtyard after the incident, one of them was clearly upset at another one of them for having talked to the police and they were fighting. The upset one's girlfriend was trying to pull him away and as she did he made threatening gun motions with his hand, as one might suspect implies the intent to kill him for whatever reason. Anyway, I don't know. The ex-roommate is thinking about moving in July because of the incident. I don't really consider it grounds for moving, though now I may move out because of the rude incompetence of management.






5 comments:

Weasel said...

Long story short, that "incident" happened on the roof over my bedroom (Which explains the loud thumping that preceded), honestly I thought it was fireworks (Jumping jacks), my girlfriend thought otherwise. She's looking to move out immediately if not sooner, I figure that so long as they didn't invade my apartment, I can wait till the lease is up in May. Needless to say, we're moving when w(sh)e find(s) something (Safer). I'm @ work, and will comment more later.

Flatbush NYC said...

Sorry it was so close to home. Is this your first year on the lease?

Weasel said...

Yeah, we're in year 1... It seemed like a great deal at the time, but when we were interviewed by the cop the night of the "incident" and he said that this sort of thing happens a lot around here, it kind of got me thinking that it's a great deal, at what cost? So we're definitely looking to leave. While I'm still willing to stick it out for no other reason than the money, I think that the handwriting is definitely on the wall.

Anonymous said...

wow...this is all news to me..sorta.. I got a two year lease.. and just moved in.. I would estimate that aout 60 percent of the tenants are pre-renovation.. rather than the 40% they(owners,etc) marketed.
This place need a new tenant association because this is gona be one hell of a ride!

Flatbush NYC said...

40? They told me 15%. If anything, they're full of it. I mean, they're nice enough, but the leasing department clearly is willing to lie, and lie dramatically to get things done. Someone should go in there pretending to be a potential tenant, and say "I heard someone was shot on a rooftop in this area, was that in this complex?" and see what kind of bullcrap they come up with.

Good luck with the association. I'll join and pay dues if you want, but I'd rather just move out than try to help them get better. But I wasn't looking for a home, just a place to live for a few years. The rents in adjacent property are cheaper, but you pay what you pay for the promises they made. They've failed to keep those promises, so I'll be moving out at some point. If you want to sue them into compliance I fully support it, but I'd rather just move.