Tuesday, November 25, 2008

More news on the laundry front.

Management left a flier today. Did anyone else get this today? I ask, because it's dated November 10th. Anyway, it reads:



"Dear Tenant(s):



It has come to our attention that some tenants have installed a washing machine and or dryer in their apartment, which is illegal and a direct violation of the lease.



Please take notice that if you, or any tenant, is observed with a washing machine or dryer installed, Management will commence legal action to have it removed.



A washing machine or dryer causes severe damage to the entire building. Any cost incurred by management as a result of a washing machine or dyer [sic], will be charged to the tenant.



We would like to remind you, that management provides a state of the art laundry facility which all tenants are welcome to use.



Thank you for your cooperation."



First, hilarious. I actually considered this myself. Mostly as an exercise in engineering. It's very difficult to install a washer and dryer in an apartment that isn't set up for it. So, kudos to those who managed it.



Second, regarding "state of the art"; I refer you to my earlier post. It's difficult to feel "welcome to use" machines that don't work.



Third, I find their implied concern for the safety of their building dubious at best. Since it took them 4 days to fix the water coming out of my ceiling, and stop the water coming out of my radiator that was no doubt coming out of my downstairs neighbor's ceiling.



Fourth, months ago; several months ago; they delivered a memo similar to this about satellite dishes. They said if they weren't removed, management would remove them. What kind of threat is that? Why would anyone take them down if the consequence is someone else will do the work for you? Anyway, point is, there are still dishes up and those are A LOT easier to spot than washing machines and dryers.



Management vs. clean clothes... let the battle begin.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wait... There was a note about dishes? One of the first, if not the first question I asked the leasing office was, "Can I Dish network installed"? They answered, "sure".
On another note, I was seriously going to shoot you a note as to whether or not your received the memo about the washing machines. I too found the whole state of the art thing hysterical. I've NEVER used that place for anything shy of something too look at when I get my mail, but the view from the other room offers no more than a glimpse at what the direct opposite of "state of the art" really is.
AH well, happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as we enter the holiday season.

Flatbush NYC said...

You were, um, lied? to... misled? I'm trying not to be negative, but a pattern is emerging that I believe goes beyond "puffing" into "bait and switch" territory. I saw someone taking a dish down the other day. I don't usually notice those things, so I'll have to look to see if they're making good on their no dishes threat. But no, they made it very clear that they don't want them. Just get FIOS (he says laughing at the prospect of our buildings being or ever being FIOS enabled). Check the lease. As far as I'm concerned (though not a landlord/tenant lawyer) if they didn't say no dishes in the lease, then they can't stop you. (Well, they would say you're paying for the inside of the apartment and the dish is trespassing on their outside of the apartment). Sorry man.

On the laundry note: then what do you use, the one on Foster? I'll give credit to FBG that their machines are like 35/45% the cost of the private facilities (when working). I wouldn't go so far as saying the "opposite" of state of the art. I mean, I've seen worse. Mostly in college dorms, but nonetheless. However, if there is a "laundry machine" art, it's in a state far better than FBG's. I went down there Sunday night, but all working machines were in use, so I just gave up and dropped my stuff off at the private place on Foster. $0.85/lb is ok with me. (Tip: if you're nice and bring your own hangers, and put your shirts in a separate bag; you can usually convince them to hang them for you instead of folding.)

I've never used a laundry drop-off before, does anyone know if you're supposed to tip them?

Unknown said...

It's really no biggie if they tell me to get rid of the dish, although I will miss the ability to get NESN. I can't wait to how they're going to explain this to me. On another note, I'm beginning to get the feeling that different buildings might in fact have rules. I mean, the difference from building to building is beginning to get more and more noticeable. Recently on our way into Manhattan on our way to the subway, we decided to walk into the building closest the stop, only to leave it saying we should have gotten in here. Hmmm..

I use the "Laundry Station" down on Flatbush Ave between Ave J & K. It's super clean, I have never seen a machine out of order, and the the people are great. I drop off part of my clothes to be done and I wash the others myself. I'm on a first name basis with the coworkers and management, they offer free Wi-Fi or paid wired, the rates are about .85lb lower if you go over a certain amount and you get $10.00 off every 10 loads. There's a Dunkin Donuts on the next block, and a news stand around the corner if you need something to do for the hour or so you might be there. I tend to drop off about $30 to $60 worth of clothing a time and I direct tip the person $5.00. More if I have something tricky. (Comforter, couch cover dry cleaning....) The Wi-Fi alone is reason enough to choose them over FBG's State Of The Art laundry facilities. Hell, I don't even get a T-mobile signal down there.

Flatbush NYC said...

Oh, you must have a car, no? That's a good rec for people with a car, but I can't haul my stuff all the way to Ave. J.

They're redoing the sidewalk inside the courtyard outside the buildings closest to the subway. Nice pavers bricks. Looks pretty good (as compared to the horrible shape of the walkways before).

Anonymous said...

So after just doing my laundry, I'm of course annoyed, so I'm ranting. 29 washers are broken. Half! And at least 2 dryers but I'm sure many more since there is no way to know until you load it up just to find out it's not working, which is what happened to me. This is compounded from 2 weeks ago when I lost $4 to broken dryers. Oh, and lets not forget to mention that the price of the dryers is up to 55 cents, with each dryer needed at least 2 runs to dry, 3 if it's heavy like towels and jeans.
I don't know how they calculate all those laundry savings in the ad. I'm just one person creating an average amount of dirty clothes and it cost me $7.20 to wash 2 weeks worth today. So I don't know how couple B can do 8 loads a month for $12.

Ethan B said...

As for the the drop-off laundry, I've read that it's good to tip, especially if you use them frequently, i.e. weekly, and you ask for special requests. I've used the FBG laundry room only once when I had a Saturday to kill, and yes...it would be a great laundry room if either the machines worked, or if I could wash clothes after work.

I prefer drop-off. Saves tons of time, and the ladies at the laundry next to Key Food on Nostrand are very cool.