Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A single female's persective.

[The below "comment" is being upgraded to its own "post" without the permission of the author.]

As a single white female living here I thought my opinion might be of value. I come home after dark every night, sometimes as late as 3-4 am. I don't really feel afraid walking home seeing as it is well lit and I'm really close to the train. I go the first entrance to the complex b/c I figure if someone wanted to mug me, it would be less likely if I were on fbg property with the cameras and all.. I do get the occasional sexual comments but that happens everywhere. Like it has been mentioned before, the violence you hear about does not seem random. I've only heard a couple fighting in their apt one time, never anyone fighting outside, or anything worse.

The only complaint I have is that there's nothing to do around here and the grocery store kinda sucks. So I don't really hang out in the neighborhood. Also, I feel like I don't have much in common with the other tenants. I'm single, childless, educated, have a white collar job... So I feel like I don't fit the profile described in the news story, and don't really relate to a majority of the tenants, at least the ones I've encountered. All the tenants in my building have been here for years and years, so there's a nice sense of community, and they've all been very nice to me.

But I witnessed some dirty tricks by fgb on Sunday. Since the water problem over the weekend, apparently all the apartments on one side of my building had water running down the walls all day sunday (not my apt) and no one from maintenance bothered to come over. I know that they keep only one maintenance person working on the weekends so there is no way he can get to everything in a reasonable amount of time. But an emergency like that is serious and the excuse that there is only one person working is ridiculous and more people must at least be on call. One tenant accidentally turned on the bathroom light and things started sparking so the fire dept came. At this point water was leaking for 15 hours.

There was an informal tenant meeting going on in the hallway after this and I overheard a woman talking about how she has had her belongings in trash bags for the past 2 years b/c leaking water is an ongoing problem that has been ignored. She was very angry and said they are ignoring her b/c they want her out so they can rent her unit for $1500. Unfortunately she's exactly right and tenant abuse is a problem all over the city, not just here. But so far, my needs have not been ignored. I've had to call maintenance a few time for urgent things and they came over w/in 2-3 hours, and sometimes within minutes. As a whole, I like it here.
My apt is huge, no roaches (!), and it's quiet which is important to me. But if you can afford a similar sized apt in a nice neighborhood, I would go for that. I wish I could have something in Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights but it's just not possible. $1000 rent is unheard of in places like that.

6 comments:

Flatbush NYC said...

The young single professionals of Flatbush Gardens is accepting new members.

Flatbush NYC said...

"The only complaint I have is that there's nothing to do around here and the grocery store kinda sucks."

Agreed. This is clearly a family area, with little to do for even families. Unless you enjoy laundry, cheap crap, or mediocre food.

Weasel said...

You know, not for nothing, but my girlfriend and I stay here for 2 reasons:
1. It's affordable
2. For what we're paying, we're getting what we pay for. (Basically, it's affordable...)
In NYC like you say, this price is unheard of for the amount of space you have. I moved back to NY from Connecticut where I had a 1 bedroom with about 870/sq ft that cost $650 a month for the 4 years I was there. Not bad, to where I am now, a slightly larger apartment with 2 bedrooms that's less than twice the price! It's really unheard of.
Sure, there's not a whole lot to do around here, that's the cost of living here. Honestly, if there was a lot (or more) to do, I promise you it would cost more. (READ: Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, Anywhere on the island of Manhattan.)
It's these reasons that I haven't moved after the incident above my bedroom. My girlfriend and I are treating it as a super isolated incident, and if it is really that bad, we'll leave when the lease is up. Hell, if it's that bad we would have left already.
Aside from the inattentiveness of the maintainance crew, and the SEVERE lack of parking, (in the garage we were promised no doubt....) and the random recreational drug use late nights in the hallways, one has to remember that it could be a whole lot worse.
Yes, I am leaving eventually as soon as any of the above becomes more of a burden than anything else. Perhaps sooner than later, but for now. I'm thankful that we both work long hours and are basically home to sleep.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just wanted to know, when ur lease is up will you remain there or pack up. I see you had a double perspective far as you liking it there as a whole,then u said u rather be at a different neighborhood for an affordable price.... and how you dont relate to any of the tenants. I was a little puzzled about ur affective attitude towards FBG. I was wondering is it the people who you dont relate to that makes you feel that you want to be at a different affordable neighborhood or is it the context of the area.I was one step close to moving there until i read this entire blog. Oliva

Anonymous said...

It all depends when my lease is up. I signed a 2 year because I wanted to keep the rent lower for longer. It depends on how much it will go up. If it's a reasonable amount, then I will probably stay. If it goes up to the limit of $1500, I probably won't since I think that's too much for what I'm getting.
Plus, it depends on my job. If I'm working somewhere that pays significantly more than I make now, then I will be able to afford a place in a more exciting neighborhood.
I said I didn't relate to the other tenants because I think we're completely different kinds of people. I'm a young, single professional. They are older working class family types. I personally like to live among a diverse group of people. I think it helps to break down walls between different types of people. It makes it easier to form relationships. But this place is not really a melting pot yet. There were a few people in my building that made an effort to introduce themselves and offered to help out if I ever needed anything. But that's as far as our relationship has went.
And for the neighborhood, what I don't like about it is the lack of interesting things to do. There are no coffee shops, book stores, bars, etc. I have to go somewhere else for that.
To clarify, I feel safe here. As I mentioned, I do things to try to keep myself out of harms way, like putting my iPod away before leaving the train. Anything can happen, anywhere you are. I doubt you are going to be beaten in an elevator or shot on a rooftop. You are probably equally as likely to be mugged on the upper east side as you are here. I know someone who lives in Park Slope who has been mugged 3 times, so what does that tell you?
All in all, it's up to you to decide what's important to your quality of living. Stop by and talk to people to get a feel of what they think about it. Come to the neighborhood at 11 on a Saturday night and see how you feel.

Anonymous said...

I came across FBG today and although most of what I read is bad Im still thinking about applying for an apartment.

I am single and my main concern is safety. With so many buildings do you STILL feel FBG is safe for a single female to live in?

I use to live in Flatbush before but that was with family. I drive. Is the parking garage safe?

This there allot of crime within the buildings. Im going to come right out and ask. When was the last time someone was robbed or shot?? This can happen at anything and in any area but as for FBG when was the last time???

Your comments will be appreciated as I torn. For the price it sounds great but I dont want to be payng allot of money and feel as though Im leaving in the projects