Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The intervention; my friends think I'm nuts.

(Part 4) Ok. I have to be honest. Things are moving kind of fast, but I feel good about that. Like rapid weight loss, maybe it's unhealthy, but seen as a really good thing. I've informed my friends, co-works, etc about my idea of moving to what NYC.gov calls the boarder between Flatbush and East Flatbush.

They think I'm nuts. "It's not safe." "You'll get shot." "You'll get mugged." Etc, etc, etc... Then I tell them how cheap it is, and they briefly want to join, then decide there's a reason it's that cheap. Well, maybe there is. I'm not stupid. I may have only been in NYC for 8 months now, but I'm not stupid. I know almost exactly why it's that cheap. (1) It's less safe, (2) it's less nice, (3) it literally used to be projects, (4) McDonald's is a viable contender for best restaurant in the area, (5) it's farther from Manhattan than other places, and (6) it's populated by 99.999% black/hispanic. Here's the thing though. Number six is a major reason it's so cheap, but number six doesn't seem like a valid reason to me. Isn't saying I can't live there because I'm white racist? Shouldn't I be ashamed to let that be a factor, shouldn't my alleged "liberal" friends be ashamed to say that's a reason why I shouldn't live there? Anyway, I'm sure I'll have a long rant about my ignorant views on race relations some other time... For now it's all speculation.

I am honestly concerned about safety. However, I do also think people exaggerate, and over concern themselves. No, I don't want to be mugged. However, the money I'd save in Flatbush is WAY more than the money a mugger would take from me. Honestly, as long as I don't get physically injured, I'll feel like moving there was a good idea. If I get beat-up a little it will be a wash. If I get beat unconscious, stabbed or non-fatally shot, I'll feel like I lost. If I get killed, well it doesn't really matter does it? Please tell my family I love them.

There is much to think about.

3 comments:

Oliver said...

you are a very good writer and i would appreciate if you can calm down with the racial slurs, other then that you seem like a cool guy. i do not live at Flatbush Gardens, but i will be soon and yes i am an African American female. Your stories kept me laughing until you mentioned the racist slurs. i dont understand how u listed the 6 reasons why the rent is so cheap , but then you are living there. you kind of scared me a little with that list, but then im thinking, he must be ok if he is able to Blog.

Flatbush NYC said...

Oliver,

Thank you so much for the comment and constructive criticism. Please forgive my abundant ignorance, I I'm not even sure what the racial slurs are that you speak of. I would be very interested in specific examples though, because I certainly want to do my part in reducing racism in the world.

As for my list:
1. See later posts, "safe" as I use it here is other people's opinion. I think it's perfectly safe. Though, I'm sure if you told me that crime was at a higher rate here than say midtown, or the beach community in Florida I was born in, I wouldn't be terribly surprised. However, I think it's safe.
2. This is true, it's less nice.
3. This is true, it literally used to be projects.
4. I am still looking for good restaurants.
5. It's certainly farther.
6. Maybe my numbers are off. I used 99.999 figuratively, not literally... I'm sure it's more like 90ish. Though, this is a fact. When a neighborhood is majority minorities, it's cheaper. I know some reasons why, most of which are symptoms of a society that is not doing enough. I certainly don't know all the reasons.

Keep in mind too, when I say next; "I'm honestly concerned about safety." That was a pre-move statement. Just letting you know that "safety" is a big category in the housing analysis. However, living here now. I think it's great.

Flatbush NYC said...

Since no one, including oliver, has answered my call to explain how I've made "racial slurs", I will assume that I haven't. Based on that assumption, I say, shame on you Oliver. Unjustly calling someone a racist is disgusting. It's no different than say for example, someone who is regretful about consensual intercourse claiming "date rape." It is defamatory, disgusting, and unjust. Worst of all though, it waters down the accusation. Civil rights leaders have worked hard to eliminate and stigmatize racism. Calling out a racist is now a powerful way to reduce racism in society, thanks to the power effect of the accusation. People's misuse of that term, and improper application of it, waters it down as a tool, so that people think "oh, you guys think everyone is a racist" instead of properly and productively hearing the claim and responding to the substance of it. You assumedly improper use of the label "racist" or person who makes "racial slurs" has helped promote racism by reducing the effect of anti-racism tools. You should be ashamed of yourself, I certain am.