Thursday, April 24, 2008

The night adventure.

(Part 6) I usually work until around 8pm, but today was a longer day and I was finishing up at 9pm. Not super tired, I figure, you know it's really won't be a fair assessment of how comfortable I am in this area if I only go during the day. After all, I come home after dark almost every weekday. So I jump on my usual 4 train and when we get to Borough Hall I just keep going. Of course I have to transfer to a 2 train because the 5 only runs during rush hour. On the train with me is a Jewish couple that stay on to go all the way to Flatbush Ave/Brooklyn College (the next and last stop on the 2/5). I get off at Newkirk with about a 100 folks. I am the only Caucasian person in the group, but my position on this subject is "who cares?" I walk the circumference of one block, which takes me into the center of the complex (it's a two block by two block square). About half way around the block (almost the center), I do see one security guard, and the looks genuinely interested in what's going on. There are houses across the street and some folks are playing some music and hanging out. A block later is the park where several people are playing basketball. There's three food stores right there (key foods, meat market, produce store), a laundromat, dry cleaner, and several other convenience type places. It's not "Sex in the City" NYC, but it's functional and niceish, and frankly if you want Sex in the City NYC rent the DVDs because I'm pretty sure that's the only place you'll find it. I'm not going to lie to you, I've seen nicer places, and I've seen safer places. However, it was nice enough, and safe enough. I don't think the roommate will like it, she won't even ride the subway from JFK at night (or ever but that's a different story). I head home to go to bed, with a new level of excitement for Sunday's open house.

No comments: