Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! The inside edition.

(Part 7) You'd understand the title if you were from the south. Whenever something exciting is happening on a Sunday, I always think of the commercials advertising car shows and gun shows. They'd always have huge graphic letters in neon colors saying "Gun Show!" and the announcer would semi-yell "Gun Show! This Sunday! At So-and-so place! Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! Be There!". With the "be there" in the same aggressive tone, but quieter and trailing off... I'm still not 100% sure why they advertised gun shows during Saturday morning cartoons, but whatever.

Anyway. Sunday! We're off to church. We're late due to track maintenance, or general MTA stupidity. It's hard to tell because either way they call it track maintenance. I don't fault them too much though, I mean it's one of the only 24/7/365 mass transit systems in the world... Well, at least they try to run all the time. We start at church. I love the outside of this church. It looks like a castle. If a legion of archers and swordsmen were to attack Flatbush, I would take refuge in this church. Everyone at mass seemed nice and friendly. Lots of families. One white dude other than me. The three of us kind of stick out, but my view is that minorities in this country feel like minorities all the time, it would do white folks some good to experience life as a minority for a while (i.e. being the only person of your general racial background in a large group). I know what you're thinking, I'm a master of race relations. Like Jerry Seinfeld and his black and white cookie. That's sarcasm, I'm sure you think I'm a racist jerk. Well, that's what the comments are for.

Off to the apartments! We sign in. Tell them we want to see a studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom. Then we do just that. The Studio is small. It may be larger than the quoted 400 sqft, but not by much. It also has a less than full sized fridge (but so did my studio in DC and it was fine for one person). I mean it's not a dorm fridge, it's like 10/11 cubic feet. The problem is, I can't imagine who would want a studio. I mean the marginal monthly difference in cost at this complex is not much. $150-$175/month for the next size up is not that much. Don't get me wrong, it's a good amount of money, but when you're paying $875 for the first 400 sqft (i.e. a studio) why not pay an extra $150/month for an extra 150/175 sqft (i.e. the one-bedroom)? Square foot per dollar, that's a good deal! So we check out the one bedroom. You can see from the floor plan that the bedroom doesn't have a closet, and just relies on the closets near the bathroom. It's pretty nice though. Bedroom might be 11' by 11', which is the current size of my roommate's bedroom. Living room isn't huge, but it's not tiny either. Like I said earlier, government projects, built as small (i.e. cheaply) as possible; so everything is just a bit smaller than your average. It's not bad. Kitchen has really nice tile on the floor and walls. Bathroom is very well renovated. The wood flooring isn't anything special, but nice and new/newish. My DC apartment had parquet wood flooring. The little 6 inch square kind, and there was this yellowish coating that was more than slowly chipping up. Flakes of this crap were on the carpet and stuck to my feet. It was odd. Anyway, this flooring seemed much nicer, and not having that issue. Two-bedroom! Same size kitchen and living room. One room a little larger than the one bedroom's bedroom; the second room is a little smaller than the one bedroom's bedroom. To be honest, you'd have to be pretty hardcore to put an adult in the smaller bedroom of a two-bedroom place. It's a great office, nursery, guestroom, chinchilla farm, maybe child's room with twin bed, but I think an adult might go crazy living in it. It does have one or two windows, which I have found in NYC is the definition of a bedroom vs. office, and both rooms have a closet. I'd say the smaller room is 8' by 10.5' and I'm pretty good at guessing distances.

We were shown around by a guy named Zach. He doesn't live in Flatbush.




No comments: