Friday, July 25, 2008

Air Conditioners, $338 per unit!

When we originally looked at the place they told us A/C was a $285 fee, with no mention of a per unit expense. I guess a per unit expense makes sense, and is the law, but it also doesn't make sense. I can install one 18,000 BTU unit for half the price of two 6,000 BTU units, and not only do the smaller ones together use 2/3rds the energy, but I may turn one off from time to time using 1/3rd the energy.

Anyway, today all residents got fliers saying management has gone around photographing all the buildings and will be billing the residents $338 per installed unit. Further, they state that the charge will stand even if you uninstall a unit or a unit stops working. Further, they say you have 10 days to contest the number of units installed at your residence or waive your right to contest it (this part I don't think is legal, but the rest is).

So, moral of the story is buy the biggest unit you can find and some fans to push it into other rooms. Also, run the sucker 24/7. Unless you care about the environment, then maybe turn it off from time to time.

And if you want 3 units, you better start saving, because that's over a thousand dollars. They will however charge you 1/12th of that per month to help you afford it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, they told us that it was an extra $100 per month for AC. (They also claimed that there was plenty of parking available, and I believe they tried to sell us the Brooklyn Bridge.) They're nothing if not a bit shady. In any event, my girlfriend loves the place, and I'm miserable here. Somehow I'm trying to see the good but it's real blurry.

Flatbush NYC said...

You mean on the street, or have you tried to get garage parking and had trouble. I think they said the garage was $110/month. I don't have a car, so I don't know much about it.

Weasel said...

Well, ok. Yes, parking on street is a challenge at virtually all hours of the day unless you're not busy at the magical span of 30 minutes before and after alt side rules expire. I'm willing to pay half my monthly rent for 1 parking space in this phantom garage but they claim it's full, check back every 2 weeks and there's no waiting list. (That's the security office.) Mind you, when we signed the lease, there was "plenty" of parking available in the garage.... Right.

Flatbush NYC said...

I can't believe they don't have a waitlist (i.e. like every other apt building does). I mean how hard is it to keep a list, it doesn't cost anything. Sorry, that sucks.