Friday, July 4, 2008

My review of FatRate Movers

(Part 21)

My review of FatRate Movers

Do you see what I did there? I left off the “L” turning FlatRate (a good thing) into FatRate (a bad thing). LOL, I’m hilarious. But seriously, I have a complaint.
Ok, so they showed up on June 3rd instead of July 3rd, I can’t really complain about that since they didn’t try to charge me or anything and showed up again on July 3rd.

So, they come in to check on the stuff. They have to compare the “FlatRate” inventory to what’s in the apartment. My quote has 25 boxes on it. They said they counted 60 boxes. That’s kind of a big difference. We didn’t add stuff since the quote. In fact, I took several boxes to good will and the dumpster. Maybe we can’t pack properly. I know I can, and I know my roommate can’t, but she had like 20% of the stuff, so that can’t be it. Maybe we hide our stuff well, or maybe they’re running a low estimate high move cost scam. Anyway…. They’re already charging twice as much as the average price quoted on craigslist (i.e. the dubious 2 men and a truck, $50/hour), and that’s on a quote for less than half our loose stuff. As far as I’m concerned, they came in to do the estimate, they decided how many boxes we had, we did not add stuff, so they should move it for the quoted price. I would have thrown them out of the apartment and started calling craigslist numbers to see who needed a job if they had tried to charge us more. They didn’t, they just tried to pad their tip, with a “we’re supposed to call dispatch and get a new quote, but nobody wants that, but we’re only being paid to more 25 boxes, so maybe you’ll remember that with a tip, but I’m not pressing for that, just pointing it out…”

Once we settle the box issue, they get to work. They’re 4 of them and they’re super friendly. Very professional, fast, etc. It took them about 4 hours to get our stuff out. I dropped the roommate off at the complex and went to JFK to pick up my parents. It took them an hour to get there (took us a half hour), but that’s ok, they have a big truck. Then the roommate calls to tell me they’re giving her crap about not being able to find parking. What? You’re MOVERS, . . . in New York City! Isn’t this like your job? Anyway, I’m mostly not there for this, as I drive my parents from the air port to the new place. The roommate, or at this point, I guess I can officially say ex-roommate. The ex-roommate says they’re going back and forth between management and security trying to figure something out. During this time they manage to park the truck at the point that is literally closest to the front door of the building. But they’re still upset, because the complex is arranged such that none of the entrances are on the streetside, and you have to go into the central courtyard to get to the entrances. It’s like, 200 feet max, and they’re saying it’s too far. This time they actually do call dispatch to get a bigger quote. However, dispatch (or I’m told this) says that the sales woman forgot to put that in the contract so they can’t charge us for it. Whatever. At this point they have our stuff so I’d have to pay them, but I sure wouldn’t be giving them a tip if I was charged more.

They finally get they’re act together. I try to help a little until 3:30. Then I have to go return the rental car. Since that’s near my old apartment, I turned in the keys, and got my dry cleaning. By the time the subway got me back to newkirk, they movers had just left. There were 4 of them and it took them from 9am to 5pm or about. I don’t know what a normal tip is in that situation but I gave the guy $120. I hope that was reasonable in light of the excellent job they did, but tempered by the crap they gave the ex-roommate while I was gone.

Anyway, all in all, they get 3 stars. 5 stars for performance, minus 1 star for price, and one star for the bullcrap.

I think if you can get a recommendation of a good craigslist type operation then you’re better off. That way they don’t give you crap. If they have to walk 2 blocks then it takes longer but you’re paying them by the hour so it doesn’t matter. If I can find a per hour crew that won’t steal or destroy my stuff, I may go that route next time.

No comments: