Tuesday, August 25, 2009

They changed the locks on us.

The outside door of buildings 1350, 1352, 1354, 1356, 1360, 1362, 1364, 1366, 1370, and 1372 had their locks changed today. Management so kindly posted this flier YESTERDAY. You know, it's kind of a big deal to change the locks, maybe a little more than 18 hours notice is in order?
It says you have to have valid ID. That's bull crap, they can't lock you out of your apartment just because you can't prove who you are. They should know who you are. Anyway, I don't have an ID (who drives anymore? driving is so last centry). The roommate went down to pick up the keys, because shockingly I was out of the house to work before 9:30. Otherwise I would be able to report the hilarity that ensued as I went to get the keys without ID.
FYI, when your key doesn't work, go get a new one.
BTW, a little (though incredibly annoying) trick I learned watching "The Big Bang Theory," if you want to get into a building, just run your hand over all the buzzers.... someone, in some apartment is bound to be awake and buzz you in without saying "hello."




6 comments:

Weasel said...

They changed ours 2 weeks ago, so the simple fix to that, the building degenerates still just keep the front door propped open. Way to invest in the security upgrades!

Flatbush NYC said...

Well, from NYC to back in Florida, automated communal gates have never been even marginally affective at security. Unless you have an actual doorman, get yourself a good lock. And one of those fire escape gates that they took out of my apartment even though they said they wouldn't.

Anonymous said...

I actually got to be around for the hilarity of showing up without an ID. There was no sympathy shown by the FG staff for these people who had lived in the complex for 20+ years.

Then again, I remember being told that they wanted to put keyless entry on the buildings... but that was years ago.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if they did this at your place yet, but they just started painting all the doors and staircases in our building.

The doors have gone from a nice brown to a rather sickening super-light green.

Flatbush NYC said...

"I actually got to be around for the hilarity of showing up without an ID. There was no sympathy shown by the FG staff for these people who had lived in the complex for 20+ years."

So they wouldn't give them keys? I wish there was a way to follow-up on that. Are they locked out, did they find ID, did FBG cave and accept their library card as ID? Perhaps we'll never know.

Flatbush NYC said...

I just noticed that it says "two keys will be given to each tenant." My roommate went down and got 2 keys. According to the sign, I should now be able to go down there and get 2 keys also, as I am also a tenant.